COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.



How they can help

How to contact them

Manchester Community Hub   

The Manchester Community Hub has been established by local organisations to provide support for the most vulnerable people in the area.

It can support people who do not have any other way of sourcing food and medical supplies. They are also helping vulnerable residents to access hardship grants.

Please only contact the hub if you require help accessing food or medical supplies and have no other means of doing this. 

Call them on 0800 234 6123 Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm.



Council Tax Support

You can submit an application for Council Tax council tax support / reduction online which is a benefit in place to help those on low income/benefits cover their council tax bill.

If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit, Manchester City Council will treat your claim as Council Tax Support as long as you say you want to claim council tax support at the same time. If your Universal Credit claim is refused, you will then have to make a separate claim for council tax support.

Find out more and claim support here.

Manchester City Council Local Welfare Provision

You can apply for a cash grant of between £30 and £60 if you are in a crisis or have an emergency that it outside of your control.

This scheme can help residents with:

  • A safety net in a disaster or emergency, including in some circumstances, help towards fuel, food and other living expenses
  • Vulnerable people to set up a new home by the provision of goods and furniture
  • Practical support to enable independent living in the community

Apply online here

Manchester Citizens Advice

Manchester Citizens Advice provide free, confidential and impartial advice to residents of Manchester City. You can go to them with all sorts of issues such as money, benefit, housing or employment issues.

All of their face to face services are now closed to the public but they have allocated more staff to email and telephone advice.

They are available Monday to Friday 9:30am to 5pm.

Call them on 03444 111 222.


Find out information about your area here: