If you decide to approach your neighbour, try to remember to:
- pick a time when you are feeling calm. Shouting or being angry will cause more problems,
- think through what you want to say, and don't stray from the main problem,
- dealing with the issue face to face can be more informal,
- if speaking to them face to face isn't possible - try using a Dear Neighbour card.
- explain what is causing you an issue, and why,
- not jump to conclusions,
- listen to the other person's response - they might have a good reason for their behaviour, or it might have been a one-off occasion,
- try to reach a solution you are both happy with,
- walk away - if you or the other person is getting angry.
If the problem you are experiencing is caused by children, do not approach them directly - speak to their parents if you can.