COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

protecting yourself and your home if it floods

We know that the risk of flooding can be worrying.

Although we can’t stop flooding, there are steps you can take to reduce the damage it causes and stay safe.

If there is a flood, we will work closely with the Environment Agency (who monitor flood levels across the country), the Emergency Services and your Local Authority to ensure your safety.


flood warnings and what you need to do

The Environment Agency are responsible for alerting people to flood warnings. You can sign up to receive free alerts by text, email or phone. If you live in an area which is prone to flooding, we strongly advise that you do this.

In the event of a flood, you can access information here

flood alert - be prepared 

This means that flooding is possible

If you get this alert you should:

  • prepare a bag that includes medicines and insurance documents
  • regularly check the flood warnings
  • put out any personal safety measures you have such as sandbags or floodgates
  • alert as many of your neighbours as possible

flood warning - act

This means that flooding is expected and immediate action is required

If you get this alert you should:

  • move your belongings upstairs or to safety
  • move family, pets and vehicles to safety
  • put out any personal safety measures you have such as sandbags or floodgates

severe flood - warning survive

This means that there will be severe flooding and this is a danger to life

If you get this alert you should:

  • call 999 if you are in immediate danger
  • follow advice from the Emergency Services
  • keep yourself and your family safe

Remember -All floods are different. You should take advice from the Emergency Services and your Local Authority if you are affected by flooding in your local area.

what we will do

We monitor flood alerts and warnings. If we receive a notification that an area where we own homes is at risk or affected, we follow our flood procedure:

flood alert - prepare

We will be alerted and our colleagues will visit the area affected and check river levels, paths and gulleys. We may knock on customers doors if we can, advising residents of the flood alert and how to prepare.

Our colleagues will keep in regular contact with each other and our customers to ensure we take action if needed.

flood warning - act

When a flood warning is in place, we activate our Major Incident Planning Process. This means that our executive team, senior managers and local teams will take action.

Where possible, our teams will attend to support residents. However, no two floods are the same; if the flood occurs quickly following the warning, our colleagues may not be able to attend and support. The area will be cordoned off and your Local Authority and the Emergency Services will take over managing the situation.

severe flood warning - survive

In the event of a severe flood warning, it is highly likely that you will be directed by the Emergency Services and your Local Authority. We will work with them to support affected customers where we can.

protecting your home

We encourage you to fit floodgates if you have them. We may be able to help install them if you are struggling. We don’t provide floodgates, but you can find out where to buy them here

We may be able to provide sandbags, but we strongly advise all customers who live in an area prone to flooding to have their own at home. This is so that you are prepared and can quickly protect your home if you need to. You can find out where to buy them here

We also recommend using hydrosnakes as an alternative to sandbags. They have a longer shelf life, are simple to store, easy to deploy and eco-friendly. You can buy these on Amazon or at

protecting your contents

Sandbags, hydrosnakes and floodgates will delay water from getting into your home but may not stop it altogether. Therefore, you should have home contents insurance.

Irwell Valley Homes has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Allianz Insurance PLC who provide the Crystal Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

For more information or an application pack phone 0300 561 1111 or email Alternatively, please visit the Crystal Insurance website for more information or to request a call back

what happens after a flood

If you have been evacuated due to flooding, the Emergency Services and your Local Authority will let us know when it is safe for you to return.

As soon as you are allowed to return, we will assess the area and come up with a clean-up plan.

We are responsible for the building, so if your home has been affected by a flood, we will assess the damage and book any repairs that we are responsible for fixing. We will also help to remove any damaged items.

You are responsible for the contents and will be able to claim for any damage through your home contents insurance.