COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Financial support

We are here to help

It is important that you pay your rent on time, but we know that it’s not always that easy. We are here to help.

If you are struggling to pay your rent please let us know as soon as possible so that we can offer the right support to help you get your account back on track. The sooner you get in touch, the easier it will be.

Please also let us know if you have any changes in your circumstances which may affect your ability to pay your rent.

When you contact us we will listen to you and offer nonjudgemental help and support. If you would prefer to speak to someone in person, we can organise a home visit. However you get in touch with us, we will always respond quickly and sympathetically.

We will check if you are entitled to any extra financial help. To do this we will ask you to tell us about the money you have coming in, and what you have going out. This helps us to identify any benefits you may be eligible for. We can also refer you to money specialists and debt advisors if we feel you would benefit.

If you fall into arrears, we promise to make a fair and affordable agreement with you to repay them. This will be based on how much you can afford to pay, taking into account your other outgoings.

To help us help you, please respond to any letters you receive from us and attend any appointments you have with our Rents team.

Housing Benefit and Universal Credit

We can make sure that you receive all of the benefits you are entitled to by doing a benefit check with you over the phone.

You will need to make sure that the Housing Benefit office or the DWP have all of the information that they need concerning your tenancy, income, family circumstances, proof of identity and national insurance.

Make sure that you apply for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit on time and provide them with any information they request. You will also need to advise us and your local Housing Benefit Office or the DWP, of any changes in your circumstances. This includes your income and the income of anyone else who lives with you. If your rent or service charge changes, you will also need to notify the Housing Benefit Office or the DWP.

Contact us about your rent or for help and support

Phone: 0300 561 1111



What do I do if I have a query about my rent account? 

If you have any queries regarding your rent account statement, please contact our Rents team on 0300 561 1111 to discuss your query. 

Please complete the form below to request a current rent statement. 

your local housing benefit offices 

Please see below for the local Housing Benefit Offices in Greater Manchester.

Trafford Borough Council 
PO Box 65, 
M33 6BY
Tel 0161 912 2220
Fax 0161 912 2369 
Bury MBC 
Housing Benefit Department, 
7 Whitaker Street, Radcliffe, 

Tel 0161 253 5858 
Fax 0161 253 7168 
Manchester City Council 
The Benefits Service, 
Manchester City Council,
PO Box 3, 
M15 5BA 
Tel 0161 234 5003 
Fax 0161 455 1130 

Bolton MBC
Housing Benefit Department,
Bolton Town Hall,
Victoria Square,
Tel 01204 331 590
Fax 01204 331 515

Salford City Council
Housing Benefit Department,
Civic Centre,
Chorley Road,
M27 2AW 
Tel 0161 909 6504 

Stockport MBC
Stockport MBC Benefits Section,
Town Hall,
SK1 3XE 
Tel 0161 217 6015 
Fax 0161 474 5202 

Rossendale Borough Council
One Stop Shop,
The Business Centre,
Futures Park,
OL13 0BB
Tel 01706 217 777 
Pendle Council
Market Street,
Tel 01282 661 800
Fax 01282 661 630

Tameside Council
Housing Benefit Office,
Wellington Road,
Ashton Under Lyne,
Tel 0161 342 3708
Fax 0161 342 3893



Request a paper copy

Please enter your details below