COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Housing benefit

Housing benefits explained

What is housing benefit?

Housing Benefit is paid by your local authority and is a contribution towards your rent payments. You can claim Housing Benefit if you are over 16 years of age, are liable to pay rent and have an income below a certain level. 

How much will I be entitled to?

The amount of Housing Benefit you are entitled to depends on your income, rent and savings. It also depends on whether other people live with you in the property (i.e. partners and children). For an estimate of what you may be entitled to please click below.

How much will I be entitled to?


How do apply for housing benefit?

You should contact your local authority's Housing Benefit team for information on how to make a claim. Please see the section below 'contacting your local Housing Benefit office'.  Our Rents team can also advise you on this.

Can you help me make a claim?

Yes, if you are having difficulty making a claim and require assistance, please contact our Rents team on 0800 035 22 11. Alternatively, you can also visit your local Housing Benefit office. 

How will my Housing Benefit be paid?

You can ask for Housing Benefit to be paid directly to us.  We can then monitor the payments and inform you should your Housing Benefit payments stop.

What should I do if my situation changes?

You must inform Housing Benefit immediately if your income or household changes. If you fail to disclose any changes in your circumstances, you will be liable for repayment of any overpaid Housing Benefit you received or that was sent directly to us. Please also inform us by phoning our Rents Team or email We can offer you help and support and refer you to external agencies where necessary.

Bedroom Tax

Since April 2013, the amount of housing benefit you can claim has been reduced if you are of working age and have a spare bedroom.

What is a spare bedroom? The new rules mean you will be allocated one bedroom for each person or couple living as part of the household. There are exceptions:

  • Children under 16 of the same gender will be expected to share
  • Children under 10 will be expected to share regardless of gender
  • Disabled tenant or partner requiring a non resident overnight carer will be allowed an extra room

If you have one spare bedroom, your housing benefit will be cut by 14% of the rent you pay every week. If you have two or more spare bedrooms, you will lose 25%. If your benefit is cut, you will have to pay the difference between your housing benefit and your rent.

If you are affected by bedroom tax, it is important that you continue to pay your rent in full. We are here to help. Please contact us if you will struggle to pay in full.   

Housing Benefit arrears

If your rent account is in arrears because of a delay in your local authority processing your claim for benefit, it is your responsibility to contact them and pursue your claim. You must also notify the Rents Team.

If you have any queries about your rent and/or your Housing Benefit, please call our RentsTeam on 0300 561 1111 (this is included in any inclusive calls made from a mobile and low cost for all landlines) if you are experiencing problems with your Housing Benefit claim.


your local housing benefit offices 

Please see below for the local Housing Benefit Offices in Greater Manchester.

Trafford Borough Council 
PO Box 65, 
M33 6BY
Tel 0161 912 2220
Fax 0161 912 2369 
Bury MBC 
Housing Benefit Department, 
7 Whitaker Street, Radcliffe, 

Tel 0161 253 5858 
Fax 0161 253 7168 
Manchester City Council 
The Benefits Service, 
Manchester City Council,
PO Box 3, 
M15 5BA 
Tel 0161 234 5003 
Fax 0161 455 1130 

Bolton MBC
Housing Benefit Department,
Bolton Town Hall,
Victoria Square,
Tel 01204 331 590
Fax 01204 331 515

Salford City Council
Housing Benefit Department,
Civic Centre,
Chorley Road,
M27 2AW 
Tel 0161 909 6504 

Stockport MBC
Stockport MBC Benefits Section,
Town Hall,
SK1 3XE 
Tel 0161 217 6015 
Fax 0161 474 5202 

Rossendale Borough Council
One Stop Shop,
The Business Centre,
Futures Park,
OL13 0BB
Tel 01706 217 777 
Pendle Council
Market Street,
Tel 01282 661 800
Fax 01282 661 630

Tameside Council
Housing Benefit Office,
Wellington Road,
Ashton Under Lyne,
Tel 0161 342 3708
Fax 0161 342 3893